Recently, I just received my front brake pad service alert on my BMW. It is triggered when there is about 2000km mileage left.
On your iDrive, you will receive this alert to warn you about brake pad going to be worn out.
To reset this alert after you had replaced your brake pads:
1) Press and hold the odometer button. It will turn 0 km mileage and then goes back to previous mileage again.
2) Keep holding the button for about 10 to 15 seconds.
3) Release the button and press the button again to select the options:
4) Press the button to reset the brake pad alert and a progress message will be shown. Wait for a few seconds.
5) It will shows brake pad reset success.
6) Go back to your iDrive menu and check vehicle status. Your service alert for brake pad is gone!
P.S You can also follow similar steps to reset your engine oil alert as well!